Monday, February 20, 2012

Waiting for a Couple of Bits of Info

I am waiting for a couple of bits of info before I move ahead with more posts.

After discussing with my family as to how we came to possess the plate, there is a possibility that the plate did not come from my grandfather. Instead it may have come from a past co-worker who would buy collectible pig items for my daughter. I have tracked down this old friend and am waiting to hear from her.

Also, I am still waiting to hear from someone who may be able to provide background on the production of the plate. I want to make sure I have all of the cool facts before continuing with the story.

As a teaser, let me just say that the story of the planetary plate involves an amazing inventor, John F. Kennedy, Bob Hope, J. Edgar Hoover, and the country of Holland.

Oh, and did I mention that I now own two of these plates?

Stay tuned.

7 comments:

  1. I just bought a similar plate from a second hand shop here in Holland.
    This find was rather appropriate since we just acquired the " louis Calmels planetarium" kit.

    Amersfoort, Oct. 11, 2012.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That makes eleven plates in existence. Can you say what you paid in US dollars? Do you have a photo?

      Delete
  2. I paid appr. 18 dollars for it./Users/janklaaskate/Desktop/IMG_9598.JPG/Users/janklaaskate/Desktop/IMG_9597.JPG

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/Manning's%20plate

    Hopefully this link will give you access

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't access the picture, but thanks for trying. I would say you got a really good deal on the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was rooting through old astronomy papers and photos I'd saved over many years, and came across this ad in a 1956 issue of "Sky and Telescope."

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/richardpini/working/planetaryplate1956_zpsfd034687.jpg

    That reminded me that I'd been seeking this plate on and off for years, so I decided to do a Google search - which led to your blog. Envious that others had found it, and I had not, I put the word out on my Facebook page and, through the miracle of networking and eBay, I was able to find one of these beautiful artifacts which arrived just this morning.

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/richardpini/working/Planetaryplate1957sm_zps9b4f51da.jpg

    You've begun such an intriguing tale in your blog, I thought you might be interested.

    Richard Pini (rpini AT elfquest DOT com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had my plate for over 20 years now, but have failed to learn anything about it! I did see an entry from a restaurant chinaware collector, who indicated she had a bowl exactly like the plate; was unable to download her image, though. Have you solved the mystery since your last post? I am a pottery collector primarily, but this plate is so appealing that I've kept it all these years.

    ReplyDelete